Arash Babaei MD
Arash Babaei MD
Department of Medicine
Division of Gastroenterology
Department of Medicine
Division of Gastroenterology
Froedtert East Clinics
9200 W Wisconsin Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53226
1/1992 - 8/1999 MD , Tehran University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, Tehran, Iran
POSTGRADUATE TRAINING AND FELLOWSHIP APPOINTMENTS:
5/2003 - 6/2006 Resident, Internal Medicine, Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego, CA
7/2006 - 6/2008 Research Fellowship, Gastrointestinal motility with emphasis on esophageal motility, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA
7/2008 - 6/2011 Fellowship, Gastroenterology academic tract with emphasis on brain-gut axis, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
SPECIALTY BOARDS AND CERTIFICATION:
|Issued By||Issue Date||Expiration|
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
AWARDS AND HONORS:
1/1992 - Present Award for achieving top 50 ranking in 350,000 medical school applicants, Tehran University
8/1999 - Present Honors for doctorate degree thesis, Tehran University
5/2004 - Present Jack Geller award for outstanding poster presentation, Scripps Mercy
5/2011 - Present Fellowship2Leadership travel grant, Salix Pharmaceuticals, Chicago, IL, DDW 2011
MEMBERSHIPS IN HONORARY AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
6/2003 - Present American College of Physicians (ACP) (Member)
6/2006 - Present American Gastroenterology Association (AGA) (Member)
6/2010 - Present American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society
1. Shaker R. Disorders of the Esophagus, Digestive Disease Week Update 2010, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI , 10/2010
1. Longitudinal Muscle Contraction during Swallow Induced and Transient Lower Esophageal Relaxation, Longitudinal Muscle Symposium, University of California, San Diego, CA , 2/2007
2. Esophageal High Resolution Manometry, Monthly Online Educational Webinars, Medical Measurement Systems, 9/2010
3. Extra-esophageal Reflux Disease: Gastroenterologist’s View, Otolaryngology Grand Rounds, University of California Davis Medical Center, Davis, CA, 9/2010
4. Mechanism of Extra-esophageal Reflux Disease, Gastroenterology Grand Rounds, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT , 9/2010
5. Deglutition Connectome, Gastroenterology Grand Rounds, Stanford University, Stanford, CA , 1/2011
PEER REVIEWED WORKSHOPS/PRESENTATIONS:
1. Massive GI bleeding in two cases of gastro-intestinal stromal tumor (GIST), ACP annual scientific meeting (Region III), Indian Wells, CA, 10/2003 - Present
2. Case report: Mesenteric Inflammatory Veno-Occlussive Disease (MIVOD), ACP annual scientific meeting National, San Francisco, CA, 4/2005 - Present
1. Effects of Cyclosporin-A on Pain Threshold in Mice, 14th Iranian Congress of physiology and Pharmacology, Tehran, Iran, 5/1999 - Present
2. Naltrexone is Protective Against Liver Damage Induced by Biliary Obstruction in Rats, 9th International Congress of Toxicology, Brisbane, Australia, 7/2001 - Present
Refereed Journal Publications/Original Papers
1. Mohammad R. Zarrindast, Hooman Homayoun, Arash Babaei, Atoosa Etminani, Behdad Gharib. Involvement of Adrenergic and Cholinergic Systems in Nicotine-Induced Anxiogenesis. European Journal of Pharmacology, Aug 2000; Vol. 407;145-158
2. Hooman Homayoun, Arash Babaei, Behdad Gharib, Atoosa Etminani, Simin Khavandgar, Ali R. Mani, Ahmad R. Dehpour. Involvement of Nitric Oxide in the Antinociception Induced by Cyclosporin-A in Mice. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. Jan 2002; Vol. 72; 267-272
3. Hariprasad Korsapati, Arash Babaei, Valmik Bhargava, & Ravinder K. Mittal. Cholinergic Stimulation Induces Asynchrony between the Circular and Longitudinal Muscle Contraction during Esophageal Peristalsis, American Journal of Physiology, Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 2008 Mar; 294(3):G694-8.
4. Arash Babaei, Hariprasad Korsapati, Valmik Bhargava, Wei Hao Zheng, & Ravinder K. Mittal. A Unique Pattern of Longitudinal Muscle Contraction of the Distal Esophagus Associated with Transient Lower Esophageal Relaxation, Gastroenterology. 2008 May; 134(5):1322-31.
5. Korsapati HR, Arash Babaei, Bhargava V, Dohil R, Quin AM, Mittal RK. Dysfunction of the Longitudinal Muscles of the Esophagus in Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Gut. 2009 Aug; 58(8):1056-62.
6. Arash Babaei, Bhargava V, Aalam S, Scadeng M, Mittal RK. Effect of proton pump inhibition on the gastric volume: assessed by magnetic resonance imaging. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Apr 15; 29(8):863-70.
7. Arash Babaei, Bhargava V, Mittal RK. Upper Esophageal Sphincter during Transient Lower Esophageal Sphincter Relaxation: Effects of Reflux Content & Posture, American Journal of Physiology, Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 2010 May; 298(5):G601-7.
8. Arash Babaei, Antonik SJ, Mepani R, Kern M, Hyde J, Shaker R. Enhancing Effects of Flavored Nutritive Stimulation on Cortical Swallowing Network Activity, American Journal of Physiology, Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 2010 August; 299: G422-9.
9. Arash Babaei, Mittal RK. Cardiovascular Compression of the Esophagus and Spread of Gastro-esophageal Reflux. Neurogastroenterolg and Motility. 2011 Jan; 23(1): 45-51.
10. Abrahao L Jr, Bhargava V, Arash Babaei, Ho A, Mittal RK. Swallow Induces a Peristaltic Wave of distention That Marches in Front of Peristaltic Wave of Contraction. . Neurogastroenterolg and Motility. 2011 Mar; 23(3):201-7
11. Arash Babaei, Naini SR, Katib O, Lee J, Shaker R. Upper esophageal Sphincter Response to Intra-esophageal Perfusion: Effects of Posture and Physical Properties of The Perfusate, American Journal of Physiology, Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 2011 Mar, manuscript in preparation.
1. Hariprasad Korsopati, Arash Babaei, V. Bhargava, R. K. Mittal. Cholinergic Stimulation and antagonism Induces Discordance between Circular and Longitudinal Muscle Contraction during Swallow-Induced Peristalsis in the Normal Healthy Subjects Digestive Disease Week 2007; Washington, DC
2. Arash Babaei, Hariprasad Korsapati, Valmik Bhargava, Ravinder K. Mittal. Esophageal Longitudinal Muscle Contraction during Lower Esophageal Sphincter Relaxation. Digestive Disease Week 2007; Washington, DC
3. Luiz Abrahao Jr., Arash Babaei, Andrew Ho, Valmik Bhargava, Ravinder Mittal. Swallow Induces a Peristaltic Wave of Inhibition That Marches In Front of the Peristaltic Wave of Contraction along the Length of the Esophagus in Normal Subjects. Gastroenterology April 2008; Vol. 134, Issue 4, Pages A-560
4. Arash Babaei, Luiz Abrahao Jr., Ravinder Mittal, Valmik Bhargava. Is Muscle Thickness a Good Surrogate for Muscle Cross Sectional Area as a Parameter of Longitudinal Muscle Contraction? Gastroenterology April 2008; Vol. 134, Issue 4, Pages A-342
5. 5. Arash Babaei, Valmik Bhargava, Sohrab Aalam, Miriam Scadeng, Ravinder Mittal. Effect of Proton Pump Inhibitor on the Gastric Volume: Assessed by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Gastroenterology April 2008; Vol. 134, Issue 4, Pages A-127
6. Arash Babaei, Mark Kern, Stephen Antonik, Jonathan Huang, Rachel Mepani, & Reza Shaker. Effects of Gustatory, Olfactory and Visual Stimulation on Cortical Swallowing Network. Annual Dysphagia Research Society, New Orleans; March 2009
7. Luiz J. Abrahao, Valmik Bhargava, Arash Babaei, Eponina Lemme, Ravinder K. Mittal. Swallow Induces a Peristaltic Wave of Inhibition That Marches in Front of Peristaltic Wave of Contraction Along the Length of the Esophagus - a Manofluoroscopic Study. Gastroenterology May 2009; Vol. 136, Issue 5, Pages A-727
8. Arash Babaei, Ravinder K. Mittal. Esophageal Shortening During Lower Esophageal Sphincter Relaxation Measured By High Resolution Manometry. Gastroenterology May 2009; Vol. 136, Issue 5, Pages A-527
9. Arash Babaei, Ravinder K. Mittal. Spread of Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Along the Length of the Esophagus Is Determined By Vascular Compressions On the Esophagus. Gastroenterology May 2009; Vol. 136, Issue 5, Pages A-738
10. Justin Lee, Arash Babaei, Shiko Kuribayashi, Sri Naveen Surapaneni, Reza Shaker. Mysteries of Upper Esophageal Sphincter (UES) Response to Esophageal Distension; Effect of Posture, Volume and Physical Nature of Distending Agent. Gastroenterology May 2009; Vol. 136, Issue 5, Pages A-526
11. Arash Babaei, Ravinder K. Mittal. Upper Esophageal Sphincter Response During Transient Lower Esophageal Sphincter Relaxation (TLESR) Is Dependent On the Posture & Nature of Refluxate: Assessed By Concurrent High Resolution Manometry, pH & Impedance. Gastroenterology Vol. 136, Issue 5, Pages A-93.
12. Arash Babaei, Mark Kern, Stephen Antonik, Rachel Mepani, Reza Shaker. Effect of Nutritive Stimulation on Cerebral Cortical Swallowing Network. Gastroenterology Vol. 138, Issue 5, Pages S-708
13. Kulwinder Dua, Manuel Amaris, Sohrab Naini, Benjamin Schneeberger, Arash Babaei, Shiko Kuribayashi, Joel H. Blumin, Reza Shaker. Alteration of Phonation Induced UES Contractile Response in Patients With Posterior Laryngitis. Gastroenterology Vol. 138, Issue 5, Pages S-464
14. Mark Kern, Jonathan Huang, Erica Samuel, Robert Siwiec, Arash Babaei, Reza Shaker. Central Inhibitory Interactions Between Proximal and Distal GI Tract Alters the Effective Cortical Connectivity. Gastroenterology Vol. 138, Issue 5, Pages S-374
15. Arash Babaei, Ward D, Nenchka A, Ahmad Sh, Lee Sh, Shaker R, Comparison of Resting and Active Functional Connectivity of Swallowing Network. Neurogastroenterology and Motility Joint International Meeting 2010; Boston, MA
16. Anna Patel, Arash Babaei, Shahryar Ahmad, Andrew Nencka, Robert Siwiec, Erica Samuel, Reza Shaker. Reliability and Reproducibility of fMRI Activity in the Cortical Swallowing Network. Gastroenterology Vol. 140, Issue 5, Pages S-367
17. Arash Babaei , Shahryar Ahmad, Anna Patel, Andrew Nencka, Reza Shaker. Participation of the Default Mode Network in the Cortical Control of Volitional Swallowing. Gastroenterology Vol. 140, Issue 5, Pages S-367
18. Arash Babaei, B. Douglas Ward, Wenjun Li, Shi-Jiang Li, Reza Shaker. Reproducibility of the Resting and Active State Connectivity of the "Deglutition Connectome". Gastroenterology Vol. 140, Issue 5, Pages S-368
19. Robert Siwiec, Arash Babaei, Shahryar Ahmad, B. Douglas Ward, Wenjun Li, Shi-Jiang Li, Reza Shaker. Esophageal Acid Exposure Alters the Functional Connectivity of the Deglutition Network. Gastroenterology Vol. 140, Issue 5, Pages S-367
20. Robert Siwiec, Arash Babaei, B. Douglas Ward, Wenjun Li, Shi-Jiang Li, Reza Shaker. Functional Connectivity of the Interoceptive Network is Altered in Patients with GERD During Esophageal Perfusion. Gastroenterology Vol. 140, Issue 5, Pages S-364