Rowena C. Punzalan MD
Department of Pediatrics
Division of Hematology/Oncology
MACC Fund Research Center
8701 Watertown Plank Rd
Milwaukee, WI 53226
6/1984 - 4/1988 B.S., University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippines
6/1986 - 5/1991 M.D., University of the Philippines College of Medicine, Manila, Philippines
POSTGRADUATE TRAINING AND FELLOWSHIP APPOINTMENTS:
7/1993 - 6/1996 Resident, Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Milwaukee, WI
7/1996 - 12/1999 Fellowship, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
9/2003 - 9/2004 Fellowship, Transfusion Medicine and Blood Banking, Blood Center of Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
10/2005 - 3/2011 Associate Medical Director, Blood Center of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
10/2005 - Present Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
10/2005 - Present Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
4/2011 - Present Medical Director, Blood Center of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS:
9/2010 - Present Associate Director, Transfusion Medicine and Blood Banking fellowship program, Medical College of Wisconsin and Blood Center of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
HOSPITAL AND CLINICAL ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS:
10/2005 - Present Medical Director, Transfusion Service, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, 9000 W. Wisconsin Ave., Wauwatosa, WI 53226
HOSPITAL STAFF PRIVILEGES:
10/2005 - Present Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, 9000 W. Wisconsin Ave., Wauwatosa, WI 53226
10/2005 - Present Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, 9200 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53226
11/2005 - Present Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center (consulting staff, Pathology), 2900 W Oklahoma Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53215
11/2005 - Present Aurora Sinai Medical Center (consulting staff, Pathology), 945 North 12th Street. Milwaukee, WI 53233,
11/2005 - Present Aurora West Allis Medical Center (consulting staff, Pathology), 8901 W. Lincoln Ave., West Allis, WI 53227
7/2007 - Present Aurora Medical Center Kenosha (consulting staff, Pathology), 10400 75th St, Kenosha, WI 53142
7/2007 - Present Aurora Memorial Hospital of Burlington (consulting staff, Pathology), 252 McHenry Street Burlington, WI 53105
7/2007 - Present Aurora Lakeland Medical Center (consulting staff, Pathology), W3985 County Road NN, Elkhorn, WI 53121
SPECIALTY BOARDS AND CERTIFICATION:
American Board of Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics –Hematology/Oncology
American Board of Pathology – Trans-Fusion Medicine/Blood Banking
MEMBERSHIPS IN HONORARY AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
1/2006 - Present AABB (Blood Bank)
4/2006 - Present American Society of Hematology
2007 - Present Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society
2011 - Present Inspector for the College of American Pathologists
EDITORSHIPS/EDITORIAL BOARDS/JOURNAL REVIEWS:
2006 American Journal of Hematology
2010 Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology
2011 Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology
1. RC Punzalan, Update on the Treatment of Hemophilia and von Willebrand Disease, Pharmacy Grand Rounds, Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Milwaukee WI, 5/2007 - Present
2. RC Punzalan, Selection of Blood Products: Overview and Special Needs, Aurora Clinical labs annual seminar, West Allis, WI, 10/2008 - Present
1. RC Punzalan, Issues in Pediatric Transfusion Medicine, Wisconsin Association of Blood Banks Annual Meeting, Appleton, WI, 9/11/2008 - 9/12/2008
2. RC Punzalan, Transfusion Therapy in Sickle Cell Disease, Association of Clinical Laboratory Scientists - WI Spring Meeting, Pewaukee, WI, 4/7/2011 - Present
1. RC Punzalan, Coagulation in infants and children, AABB annual meeting, New Orleans, LA, 10/2009 - Present
PEER REVIEWED WORKSHOPS/PRESENTATIONS:
1. R.C. Punzalan, M.C. Du, J.P. Scott, P.S. Low, and C.A. Hillery. Role of hydration status in erythrocyte adhesion to thrombospondin. Oral presentation at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 1997.
10/2005 - 10/2008 Member, scholarship oversight committee for Sheila Hanson, MD, Medical College of Wisconsin
10/2007 - Present Chair, Blood Utilization Committee, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
1/2008 - Present Chair, Anticoagulation Committee, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
1/2010 - 12/2010 Alternate member, Institutional Review Board, Blood Center of Wisconsin
1/2011 - Present Member, Institutional Review Board, Blood Center of Wisconsin
MEDICAL COLLEGE TEACHING ACTIVITIES:
4/2009 CHW Oral Anticoagulation Symposium; topic: Warfarin Metabolism
4/2011 Drug-induced hemolytic anemia on-line education module
Medical Student Education
11/2006 - Present M2 lectures; topic: Transfusion Medicine
7/2010 - Present Teaching attending at Morning Report (monthly), CHW
Resident and Fellow Education
7/2006 - 7/2009 Pathology resident lecture series; topic: Introduction to Transfusion Medicine
8/2006 - Present Transfusion Medicine fellow lecture series; topic: Hemoglobinopathies
8/2006 - Present Transfusion Medicine fellow lecture series; topic: Hematopoietic Growth Factors
8/2006 - Present Pediatric resident noon academic conference; topic: Pediatric Transfusion Medicine
7/2007 - Present Pediatric hematology/oncology fellow lecture series; topic: Pediatric Transfusion Medicine
7/2007 - Present Pediatric hematology/oncology fellow lecture series; topic: Immune Hemolytic Anemia
1/2008 - Present Hematology/Oncology/Transplant resident's lecture; Topic: Pediatric Transfusion Medicine
7/2009 - Present Pathology resident lecture series; topic: Adverse Events - Blood Transfusion
8/2009 - Present Transfusion Medicine fellow lecture series; topic: Issues in Pediatric Transfusion
7/2010 - Present Morning report with pediatric residents: case-based teaching
7/2010 - Present Pathology resident lecture series; topic: Evidence-based Indications for Transfusion
Continuing Medical Education
8/2006 Neonatology Noon Conference; topic: Blood Banking
9/2007 Pediatric Surgery Grand Rounds; topic: Deep Venous Thrombosis in Children
5/2009 Neonatology Academic Conference; topic: Neonatal Transfusion Issues
10/2009 Pediatric Surgery/Emergency Medicine joint conference; topic: Transfusion Issues in the ED
10/2009 Pediatric Critical Care Lecture Series; topic: Use of rFVIIa and AT3 in the PICU
Graduate Student Education
6/2008 - Present Pediatric Surgery Physician Assistants lecture series; topic: Pediatric Transfusion Medicine
9/2010 - Present Pediatric Hematology Nurse Practitioners; topic: Evaluation of Immune Hemolysis
EXTRAMURAL TEACHING (e.g. at Marquette, UWM, etc.):
Continuing Medical Education
8/2006 - Present Specialist in Blood Banking lecture series; Blood Center of Wisconsin; topic: Hemoglobinopathies
8/2006 - Present Specialist in Blood Banking lecture series; Blood Center of Wisconsin; topic: Hematopoietic Growth Factors
8/2009 - Present Specialist in Blood Banking series; Blood Center of Wisconsin; topic: Issues in Pediatric Transfusion
3/2010 - Present Marquette University Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program; topic: Pediatric Hematologic Emergencies
MCW STUDENTS, FACULTY, RESIDENTS AND CLINICAL/RESEARCH FELLOWS MENTORED:
Amanda Reiswig, MCW, 9/2010 - Present Research project mentor
Transfusion medicine and Blood banking curriculum for transfusion medicine and pediatric hematology fellows
Refereed Journal Publications/Original Papers
1. R.C. Punzalan, C.A. Hillery, R.R. Montgomery, J.P. Scott, and J.C. Gill. Low molecular weight heparin (enoxaparin) in thrombotic disease in children and adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology 22(2):137-142, Mar-Apr 2000.
2. Greenbaum L.A., Kerlin B.A., Van Why S., Punzalan R.C., Trost B.A., Pan C.G., Scott J.P. Concurrent poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis and autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Pediatric Nephrology 18(12):1301-3, 2003.
3. N.J. Wandersee, R.C. Punzalan, M.P. Rettig, M.D. Kennedy, N.M. Pajewski, R.L. Sabina, J.P. Scott, P.S. Low, C.A. Hillery. Erythrocyte adhesion is modified by alterations in cellular tonicity and volume. British Journal of Haematology 131:366-377, 2005.
4. S.J. Hanson, R.C. Punzalan, N. Ghanayem, P.L. Havens. Prevalence of heparin-dependent platelet antibodies in children after cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, 8(4):358, 2007.
5. S.J. Hanson, R.C. Punzalan, R.A. Greenup, H Liu, T.T. Sato, P.L. Havens. Incidence and Risk Factors for Venous Thromboembolism in Critically Ill Children after Trauma. Journal of Trauma, 68(1):52, 2010.
6. R.A. Neibler, R.C. Punzalan, M. Gamez, M.W. Lankiewicz. Activated Recombinant Factor VII for Refractory Bleeding During Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, 11(1):98, 2010.
7. S Gupta, CL Piefer, JT Fueger, ST Johnson, RC Punzalan. Trimethoprim-Induced Immune Hemolytic Anemia in a Pediatric Oncology Patient Presenting As an Acute Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 55:1201, 2010.
8. Rangarajan HG, Punzalan RC, Camitta BM, Talano JA The use of novel Therakos™ Cellex® for extracorporeal photopheresis in treatment of graft-versus-host disease in paediatric patients. Br J Haematol. 2013 Nov;163(3):357-64
9. Collins CL, Scott JP, Panepinto JA, Punzalan RC Severe thrombocytopenia in a child secondary to passive platelet antibody transfer from a plasma transfusion. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2013 Jul;35(5):e226-8
10. Franzblau EB, Punzalan RC, Friedman KD, Roy A, Bilen O, Flood VH Use of purified fibrinogen concentrate for dysfibrinogenemia and importance of laboratory fibrinogen activity measurement. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 Mar;60(3):500-2
11. Hanson SJ, Punzalan RC, Arca MJ, Simpson P, Christensen MA, Hanson SK, Yan K, Braun K, Havens PL Effectiveness of clinical guidelines for deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis in reducing the incidence of venous thromboembolism in critically ill children after trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 May;72(5):1292-7
12. Schloemer NJ, Abu-Sultaneh S, Hanson SJ, Yan K, Hoffmann RG, Punzalan RC, Havens PL Higher Doses of Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin (Enoxaparin) Are Needed to Achieve Target Anti-Xa Concentrations in Critically Ill Children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2014 Jun 3:
Books, Chapters, and Reviews
1. Punzalan, RC. Hemostatic Disorders. Pediatric Transfusion: A Physician's Handbook, 3rd edition, 2009.
2. Punzalan, R.C., Flood, V.H. Developmental Hemostasis. Textbook of Clinical Pediatrics, 2nd edition. Elzouki, A.Y., ed. Springer; in press.
1. R.C. Punzalan, M.C. Du, J.P. Scott, P.S. Low, and C.A. Hillery. Role of hydration status in erythrocyte adhesion to thrombospondin. Blood 90(10, Suppl 1):604a, 1997.
2. R.C. Punzalan, B.A. Trost, H. Shen, J.P. Scott, A.G. Hudetz, and C.A.Hillery. Chondroitin sulfate-A limits cerebral ischemia induced by nitric oxide inhibition in sickle erythrocyte-infused rats. Blood 92(10, Suppl 1):329a, 1998.
3. R.C. Punzalan, S. Holzman, B.A. Trost, C. Paszty, N. Mohandas, and C.A. Hillery. Spontaneous stroke and erythrocyte adhesion in the transgenic knockout sickle cell mouse. Blood 94 (10 Suppl 1):304a, 1999.
4. M. Gamez, R.A. Neibler, M.W. Lankiewicz, R.C. Punzalan. Risk of thrombosis with recombinant factor VIIa during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Transfusion 46(9S):11a, Sept 2006.
5. Marchan MG, Leszczynski LA, Curnes JS, Rauter JJ, Punzalan RC, Johnson ST. Passive anti-E in a pediatric patient not detected by routine donor screening using anti-IgG solid screen II or gel test. Transfusion 47:160a, 2007.
6. TM Pugh, ST Johnson, LC Brenner, CL Piefer, MW Lankiewicz, RC Punzalan. Acute hemolytic transfusion reaction due to anti-Lea in a patient with sickle cell disease. Transfusion 47:150a, 2007.
7. S.J. Hanson, R.C. Punzalan, R.A. Greenup, H Liu, T.T. Sato, P.L. Havens. Incidence and Risk Factors for Venous Thromboembolism in Critically Ill Children after Trauma. Hemophilia and Thrombosis research Society annual meeting, April 2008.
8. C Piefer, RC Punzalan, KE Puca, N Leon, ST Johnson. Bactrim/Trimethoprim-Induced Immune Hemolytic Anemia in The Setting Of An Acute Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction. Transfusion 48:174a, 2008.
9. SJ Hanson, RC Punzalan, NS Ghanayem, PL Havens. Incidence and risk factors for venous thromboembolism in critically ill children with cardiac disease, oral presentation at the XXII Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Boston, MA (07/2009)
10. SJ Hanson, RC Punzalan, NS Ghanayem, M Christensen, EM Kuhn, PL Havens. Incidence and risk factors for venous thromboembolism in critically ill children with cardiac disease, oral presentation at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference & Exhibition, San Francisco, CA (10/2010)
11. SJ Hanson, RC Punzalan, M Arca, P Simpson, M Christensen, PL Havens. Effectiveness of Clinical Guidelines for DVT Prophylaxis in Reducing the Incidence of Venous Thromboembolism in Critically Ill Children after Trauma. 40th Critical Care Congress, San Diego, CA, 1/15-1/19/2011.
12. RC Punzalan, JC Gill, RR Montgomery, SL Haberichter, KD Friedman. Reference Interval for Factor VIII to Von Willebrand Factor Antigen is Lower for Infants under 6 Months of Age Compared to Older Children and Adults. Accepted at the XXIII Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis on July 23-28, 2011 in Kyoto, Japan.
13. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin: Blood Utilization Guidelines, Massive Transfusion Guidelines, Guidelines for VTE prophylaxis in Trauma, Guidelines for anticoagulation with warfarin, Guidelines for anticoagulation with heparin, Guidelines for anticoagulation with enoxaparin
Database, Video, or Other Research/Clinical Contributions
1. Anticoagulation clinical database
2. Blood utilization database
Software, Software Modules
1. Blood product ordering and transfusion reaction modules for Sunrise Clinical Manager, CHW
2. Anticoagulation modules for Sunrise Clinical Manager, CHW