Young S. Oh MD
Department of Medicine
Division of Gastroenterology
9200 W Wisconsin Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53226
CITIZENSHIP: United States of America
9/1992 - 6/1996 Bachelor of Science in Engineering (B.S.E.), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
8/1996 - 6/2000 Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
1/2010 - Present Masters of Science in Clinical and Translational Science (M.S.), Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
POSTGRADUATE TRAINING AND FELLOWSHIP APPOINTMENTS:
6/2000 - 6/2001 Internship, Internal Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, MO
7/2001 - 6/2003 Residency, Internal Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, MO
7/2003 - 6/2006 Fellowship, Gastroenterology, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, MO
7/2006 - 6/2007 Fellowship, Advanced Endoscopy, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, PA
7/2006 - 6/2007 Instructor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, PA
7/2009 - Present Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, WI
EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS:
2012 - Present Associate Fellowship Program Director, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, WI
HOSPITAL STAFF PRIVILEGES:
6/2002 - 6/2006 Barnes-Jewish Hospital, 1 Barnes-Jewish Hospital Plaza, Saint Louis, MO 63110
7/2006 - 6/2007 Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, 51 N. 39th St., Philadelphia, PA 19104
7/2006 - 6/2007 Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19104
7/2007 - 5/2009 Swedish Medical Center/First Hill, 747 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122
7/2007 - 5/2009 Swedish Medical Center/Cherry Hill, 500 17th Ave., Seattle, WA 98122
7/2009 - Present Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, 9200 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53226
5/2010 - Present Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center, 5000 W. National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53214
SPECIALTY BOARDS AND CERTIFICATION:
American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)
ABIM - Gastroenterology
|Issued By||Issue Date||Expiration|
AWARDS AND HONORS:
1992 - 1996 Dean's List and Angell Scholar, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1995 - 1996 Omega Chi Epsilon (chemical engineering honor society), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1995 - 1996 Tau Beta Pi (engineering honor society), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1996 Summa cum laude, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1996 - 2000 Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholarship, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
2005 Finalist, American College of Gastroenterology GI Jeopardy
2008 Outstanding New Physician Award, Minor & James Medical PLLC
2010 POET (Performing Outstanding Excellence Together) Award, Froedtert Hospital
12/2012 Fellow, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
2013 Top Reviewer Award, Gastrointestinal Endosocpy
2013 Outstanding Faculty Service Award, Medical College of Wisconsin
MEMBERSHIPS IN HONORARY AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
2003 - Present American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
2003 - Present American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
2003 - Present ASGE
2007 - 2009 King County Medical Society
2007 - 2009 Washington State Medical Association
2009 - Present Milwaukee Gastroenterological Society
2013 - Present Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center
EDITORSHIPS/EDITORIAL BOARDS/JOURNAL REVIEWS:
2011 - Present Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
2011 - Present Dysphagia
2011 - Present Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
2012 - Present Cancer Biomarkers
2012 - Present Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology [Medical Sciences]
2012 - Present BMC Gastroenterology
2012 - Present Digestive Diseases and Sciences
2013 - Present Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management
LOCAL/REGIONAL APPOINTED LEADERSHIP AND COMMITTEE POSITIONS:
2008 Member, Planning Committee, Swedish Medical Center Annual Oncology Symposium: Focus on Selected Upper Gastrointestinal Malignancies
2009 Co-chair, Planning Committee, Swedish Medical Center Emil Jobb Gastroenterology Symposium: Update on Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease
2012 Member, Medical Mediation Panels of the Wisconsin Supreme Court
2013 - Present Access Champion, Medical College of Wisconsin
2013 Chair, Digestive Disease Center Grant Review Committee, Medical College of Wisconsin
NATIONAL ELECTED/APPOINTED LEADERSHIP AND COMMITTEE POSITIONS:
2011 - 2014 Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Editorial Board, ASGE
2013 - 2016 Publications Committee, ACG
1. Oh Y, What to do about Helicobacter pylori, Washington University School of Medicine, 2002
2. Oh Y, Introduction to Advanced Endoscopy, Medical College of Wisconsin, 7/11/2011
3. Oh Y, Gastroenterology Fellows Board Review, Medical College of Wisconsin, 10/4/2011
4. Oh Y, Gastroenterology Fellows Board Review, Medical College of Wisconsin, 10/11/2011
5. Oh Y, Gastroenterology Fellows Board Review, Medical College of Wisconsin, 10/25/2011
6. Oh Y, Introduction to Advanced Endoscopy, Medical College of Wisconsin, 7/9/2012
7. Oh Y, Gastroenterology Fellows Board Review, Medical College of Wisconsin, 10/16/2012
8. Oh Y, Gastroenterology Fellows Board Review, Medical College of Wisconsin, 10/23/2012
9. Oh Y, Esophageal and Pancreatic Cancer, Resident Academic Half Day Presentation, Medical College of Wisconsin, 12/12/2012
10. Oh Y, Biliary Disease, Intern Academic Half Day Presentation, Medical College of Wisconsin, 1/16/2013
11. Oh Y, Introduction to Advanced Endoscopy, Medical College of Wisconsin, 7/1/2013
12. Oh Y, Gastroenterology Fellows Board Review, Medical College of Wisconsin, 10/1/2013
1. Oh Y, Case Vignette: Food Impaction in a Young Man, A Galaxy of Gastroenterology, Saint Louis, MO, 2005
2. Oh Y, Cystic Neoplasms of the Pancreas, Annual Oncology Symposium: Focus on Selected Upper Gastrointestinal Malignancies, Seattle, WA, 2008
3. Oh Y, Moderator, State of the Gut: An Update on Gastrointestinal Disorders, Milwaukee, WI, 10/2009
4. Oh Y, Gallstones, State of the Gut: An Update on Gastrointestinal Disorders, Milwaukee, WI, 10/2010
5. Oh Y, Evaluation and Management of Biliary Strictures, State of the Gut: An Update on Gastrointestinal Disorders, Milwaukee, WI, 10/2011
6. Oh Y, Gallbladder Disease, 13th Annual Liver Disease Update, Milwaukee, WI, 3/2012
7. Oh Y, Pancreatobiliary, Digestive Disease Week Meeting Review, 9/28/2012
8. Oh Y, Acute Pancreatitis, State of the Gut: An Update on Gastrointestinal Disorders, 9/27/2013
9. Oh Y, Pancreatobiliary, Digestive Disease Week Meeting Review, 9/28/2013
1. Oh Y, Why I Chose Academic GI: Privileges of Academic Gastroenterology, Choosing a Career in Academic Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Milwaukee, WI, 2009
PEER REVIEWED WORKSHOPS/PRESENTATIONS:
1. Lee C, Anderson MA, Hines OJ, Reber HA, Kochman ML, Foley J, Drebin JA, Oh D, Ginsberg GG, Ahmad N, Merchant N, Isbell J, Parikh A, Scheiman KM, Simeone D, Risk of malignancy in resected cystic tumors of the pancreas < 3 cm in size: Is it safe to observe asymptomatic patients; a multi-institutional report, The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT) oral presentation, Washington, DC, 2007
2. Aadam, AA, Khan AH, Oh Y, Evans DB, Dua K, Efficacy of Self Expanding Metal Biliary Stents in Patients Receiving Preoperative Chemoradiation for Resectable Pancreatic Cancer, SSAT oral presentation, Chicago, IL, 2011
3. Aadam AA, Oh YS, Latif SU, Khan A, Venu M, Schiro A, Hunt BC, Rao RN, Shidham VB, Dua K, Eliminating the Residual Negative Pressure in the EUS-FNA Needle Before Withdrawal Enhances the FNA Cytology Yield , ASGE Oral Presentation, Orlando, FL, 2013
4. Aadam AA, Kaltenbach T, Patel S, Edmundowicz S, Kushnir V, Peng J, Rademaker A, Oh Y, Venu M, Kahi C, Soetikno R, Keswani RN, Physician Assessment of Paris Classification, Size, and Malignancy in Complex Colon Polyps: Results from a Multicenter Video-Based Survey Study, AGA oral presentation, Orlando, FL, 2013
2011 - 2014 Chairman, Library Committee
MEDICAL COLLEGE TEACHING ACTIVITIES:
Medical Student Education
7/2009 - Present Inpatient gastroenterology consultation service
2/2012 - Present M4 Ambulatory Medicine rotation
2012 - Present M2 Discovery Curriculum gastroenterology expert panel member
1/2013 - 12/2013 M1 Clinical Apprenticeship Course
Resident and Fellow Education
7/2009 - Present Gastroenterology endoscopy laboratory
7/2009 - Present Gastroenterology clinic
7/2009 - Present Inpatient gastroenterology consultation service
Refereed Journal Publications/Original Papers
1. Rosenberg JM, Wahr JA, Sung CH, Oh YS, Gilligan LJ. Coronary perfusion pressure during cardiopulmonary resuscitation after spinal anesthesia in dogs. Anesth Analg 1996;82:84-7.
2. Oh YS, Edmundowicz SA, Jonnalagadda SS, Azar RR. Pancreaticopleural fistula: Report of two cases and review of the literature. Dig Dis Sci 2006;51:1-6.
3. Azar RR, Oh YS, Janec EM, Early DS, Jonnalagadda SS, Edmundowicz SA. Wire-guided pancreatic pseudocyst drainage using a modified needle knife and therapeutic echoendoscope. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;63:688-92.
4. Oh YS, Lisker-Melman M, Korenblat KM, Zuckerman GR, Crippin JS. Disseminated histoplasmosis in a liver transplant recipient. Liver Transpl 2006;12:677-81.
5. Lee CJ, Scheiman J, Anderson MA, Hines OJ, Reber HA, Farrell J, Kochman ML, Foley PJ, Drebin J, Oh YS, Ginsberg G, Ahmad N, Merchant NB, Isbell J, Parikh AA, Stokes JB, Bauer T, Adams RB, Simeone DM. Risk of malignancy in resected cystic tumors of the pancreas </= 3 cm in size: Is it safe to observe asymptomatic patients? A multi-institutional report. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12:234-42.
6. Sarkar M, Wood R, Oh Y, Hecht THE, Kaiser L, Wasserstein A, Kochman ML. Presentation and management of acute fistulization of a foregut duplication cyst. Gastrointest Endosc 2008;68:804-6.
7. Oh YS, Kochman ML, Ahmad NA, Ginsberg GG. Clinical outcomes after self-expanding plastic stent placement for refractory benign esophageal strictures. Dig Dis Sci 2010;55:1344-8.
8. Oh YS, Dua K. Pancreatic sphincterotomy for pancreatitis associated with main duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm. Endoscopy 2011;43 Suppl 2:E75.
9. Oh YS, Merrill J. Diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer to an intra-abdominal lymph node by endoscopic ultrasound. Case Rep Gastroenterol 2011;5:189-91.
10. Oh YS, Massey B. Rapid development of intestinal type gastric adenocarcinoma. Case Rep Gastroenterol 2011;5:192-5.
11. Oh YS, Knechtges PM. Fistula between the jejunum and inferior vena cava after esophagojejunal anastomosis. Case Rep Gastroenterol 2011;5:546-52.
12. Aadam AA, Evans DB, Khan A, Oh Y, Dua K. Efficacy and safety of self-expandable metal stents for biliary decompression in patients receiving neoadjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;76:67-75.
13. Oh YS, Collins CL, Virani S, Kim M-S, Slicker JA, Jackson JL. Lack of impact on polyp detection by fellow involvement during colonoscopy. A meta-analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2013 May 22. [Epub ahead of print]
14. Pappas SG, Pilgrim CH, Keim R, Harris R, Wilson S, Turaga K, Tsai S, Dua K, Khan A, Oh Y, Gamblin TC, Christians K. The Frey procedure for chronic pancreatitis secondary to pancreas divisum. JAMA Surg. 2013 Sep 4. [Epub ahead of print].
15. Dua KS, Latif SU, Yang JF, Fang TC, Khan A, Oh Y. Efficacy and safety of a new fully covered, self-expanding, non-foreshortening, metal esophageal stent. In submission (Gastrointest Endosc).
16. Aadam AA, Wani S, Kahi C, Kaltenbach T, Oh Y, Edmundowicz S, Peng J, Rademaker AW, Patel S, Kushnir V, Soetikno R, Keswani RN. Physician assessment and management of complex colon polyps: A multicenter video-based survey study. In submission (Am J Gastroenterol).
17. Aadam AA, Oh YS, Latif SU, Khan A, Venu M, Schiro A, Hunt BC, Rao RN, Shidham VB, Zhang Y, Tarima S, Dua K. Eliminating the residual negative pressure in the EUS-FNA needle before withdrawal enhances FNA cytology yield. A pilot study. In preparation.
Books, Chapters, and Reviews
1. Oh YS, Early DS, Azar RR. Clinical applications of endoscopic ultrasound to oncology. Oncology 2005;68(4-6):526-37.
2. Oh YS, Kochman ML. EUS procedure technique (consent, sedation). Endoscopic Ultrasonography. Eds. Frank Gress and Thomas Savides. 2009.
Editorials, Letters to Editor, Other
1. Oh YS, Kochman ML. Polyflex esophageal stent migration with elimination per rectum. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;66:633.
2. Oh YS What are we missing when colon preparation is inadequate? Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Jun;75:1204-5.
1. Oh YS, Schwartz J. Growth hormone induces binding to the c-fos serum response element. University of Michigan Medical School Undergraduate Research Poster Session, 1995.
2. Oh YS, Mileke B, Alpern RJ. The role of the endothelin B receptor in kidney function. Southwestern Medical Student Research Forum, 1997.
3. Oh YS, Warren DK, Fraser VJ. A multicenter study of bacteremia in the intensive care unit utilizing criteria to differentiate types of catheter-associated bloodstream infections. Clinical Science Training and Research Pathway (C-STAR) program, Washington University School of Medicine, 2003.
4. Warren DK, Jones RM, Oh YS, Keller MH, Seiler SM, Fraser VJ. Risk factors and outcomes of ICU-acquired primary bloodstream infections. 13th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, 2003.
5. Oh YS, Aoun N, Meyers BF, Eloubeidi MA, Edmundowicz SA, Early DS, Azar RR. Understanding and utilization of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration by thoracic surgeons in the staging of lung cancer. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:S370.
6. Oh YS, Edmundowicz SA, Janec EM, Early DS, Jonnalagadda SS, Azar RR. Experience using a therapeutic linear echoendoscope for pancreatic pseudocyst drainage. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:S90.
7. Janec EM, Edmundowicz SA, Peifer K, Azar R, Oh YS, Brinkman EA, Gao F, Tarr P, Shepherd R, Jonnalagadda S. Utilization trends and outcomes for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in the pediatric population. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:S382.
8. Oh YS, Seo DH, Stone CD. Hemoconcentration is an independent risk factor for severe acute pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 2006;130:S1415.
9. Oh YS, Kochman ML, Ahmad NA, Ginsberg GG. Clinical outcomes after Polyflex™ stent placement for refractory benign esophageal stricture (RBES). Gastrointest Endosc 2007;65:AB132.
10. Merrill JT, Schneeberger B, Oh Y, Khan AH, Hogan WJ, Dua KS. Endoscopic ultrasound guided botulinum toxin injection for the treatment of colon outlet obstruction with hypertensive internal anal sphincter. Gastrointest Endosc 2011;73:AB183.
11. Oh Y, Jackson JL. Impact of needle type and gauge on the performance of endoscopic ultrasound-guided sampling. A meta-analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;75:AB445.
12. Aadam AA, Lodhi A, Gore E, Oh Y, Dua KS. Effect of neoadjuvant therapy on dysphagia in patients with locally advanced esophageal cancer. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;75:AB459.
13. Kumar N, Ali M, Ahmad S, Kumar G, Oh Y. It is safe to perform cholecystectomy during index hospitalization for acute cholangitis: A nationwide analysis of hospitalizations. Gastrointest Endosc 2012:75,AB402-AB403.
14. Kumar N, Ahmad S, Ali M, Kumar G, Oh Y. Outcome of severe cholangitis is affected by the teaching status of the hospital: A nationwide analysis. Gastroenterology 2012;142,S-607.
15. Kumar N, Ali M, Ahmad S, Kumar G, Oh Y. Patients with cirrhosis have a higher risk of cholangitis and related mortality: Review of nationwide inpatient sample. Gastroenterology 2012;142:S-987.
16. Aadam AA, Kahi C, Oh Y, Venu M, Edmundowicz S, Kushnir V, Peng J, Rademaker AW, Wani S, Patel S, Kaltenbach T, Soetikno R, Keswani RN. Determinants of endoscopic versus surgical management of complex colorectal polyps: A multicenter video-based survey study. Gastrointest Endosc 2013;77:AB540-AB541.
17. Aadam AA, Saeian K, Massey BT, Stein DJ, Ashley L, Venu N, Venu M, Oh YS. Proximal colon retroflexion with adult versus pediatric colonoscopes. Gastrointest Endosc 2013;77:AB426-AB427.
18. Gonzaga J, Venu M, Schiro A, Danielson R, Latif SU, Martin E, Kumar N, Oh YS, Khan A, Dua K. Self-expanding metal stents as bridge to surgery in patients with dysphagia receiving neoadjuvant therapy for locally advanced esophageal cancer. Gastrointest Endosc 2013;77:AB348.
19. Latif SU, Dua KS, Yang JF, Oh Y, Khan AH. Efficacy and safety of EndoMAXX™, a new non-foreshortening fully covered nitinol esophageal stent. Gastroenterology 2013;144:S-483.
20. Byrne KR, Glapa S, Khan AH, Oh Y, Hogan WJ, Dua KS. Manometric evaluation of endoscopic ultrasound guided botulinum toxin injection into the internal anal sphincter in patients with anal sphincter dyssynergia. Submitted for DDW 2014.