Medical College of Wisconsin
CTSICores SearchResearch InformaticsREDCap

Determinates of functional disability after complex upper extremity trauma. Ann Vasc Surg 2001 Jan;15(1):43-8

Date

02/28/2001

Pubmed ID

11221943

DOI

10.1007/s100160010016

Scopus ID

2-s2.0-0035143892   23 Citations

Abstract

This is a retrospective chart review of 71 patients who were operated on for presumed upper extremity arterial trauma between June 1992 and June 1998. Penetrating trauma occurred in 50 (70%) patients, and blunt trauma in 21 (30%). There were 2 innominate, 6 subclavian, 13 axillary, 26 brachial, 5 radial, 6 ulnar, and 6 multiple arterial injuries. There were 7 negative explorations (4 venous injuries, 2 false-positive angiograms, and 1 branch artery injury). In addition to the vascular injury, 44 patients (69%) had another injury in the extremity, including 8 (12.5%) orthopedic injuries, 12 (19%) nerve injuries, and 24 (37.5%) combination nerve and orthopedic injuries. There were three arterial thromboses, one arterial disruption, and four amputations, resulting in a patency rate and limb salvage rate of 94%. Persistent disability was more common in those patients with blunt injury (p = 0.02) and in those patients with associated neurologic and orthopedic injuries (p < 0.05). Full functional recovery was seen in 21 (33%) patients, while some form of disability was noted in the remaining 67%. The magnitude of the concomitant neurologic injury was the major determinate of functional outcome in this patient population.

Author List

Brown KR, Jean-Claude J, Seabrook GR, Towne JB, Cambria RA

Authors

Kellie R. Brown MD Professor in the Surgery department at Medical College of Wisconsin
Gary R. Seabrook MD Chief, Professor in the Surgery department at Medical College of Wisconsin




MESH terms used to index this publication - Major topics in bold

Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Arm
Arm Injuries
Blood Vessels
Disability Evaluation
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Musculoskeletal System
Peripheral Nerve Injuries
Peripheral Nerves
Recovery of Function
Retrospective Studies
Treatment Outcome
Vascular Surgical Procedures
jenkins-FCD Prod-398 336d56a365602aa89dcc112f077233607d6a5abc