Medical College of Wisconsin
CTSICores SearchResearch InformaticsREDCap

Pediatric vascular injuries: patterns of injury, morbidity, and mortality. J Pediatr Surg 2007 Jan;42(1):178-82; discussion 182-3



Pubmed ID




Scopus ID

2-s2.0-33845957091   53 Citations


PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to identify the patterns of injury and associated morbidity/mortality related to pediatric vascular trauma.

METHODS: A retrospective review of children and adolescents treated between 1993 and 2005 was performed. Patients were identified by International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision codes within an institutional pediatric trauma registry.

RESULTS: One hundred seventy-six patients with vascular injury were identified. Those with injuries isolated to the digits and unspecified vessels were excluded (n = 73). The remaining 103 patients were evaluable and are the basis for subsequent comparisons. Seventy-four percent of injuries occurred in male patients. The average age of the male patients was 11.3 years and that of the female patients was 9.1 years (range, 1-18 years; overall, 10.7 years). Penetrating wounds caused 68% of the injuries, followed by blunt trauma (31%) and burns (0.97%). Anatomical locations of injury included the head/neck (19.4%), torso (13.5%), and extremities (67%). Amputation was required in 11 (10.7%) patients. The average hospital length of stay of the patients was 12.1 days (range, 1-155 days). The overall mortality was 9.7%. Nonoperative management was given to 9.7% of the patients; one death caused by carotid injury occurred. Overall, 24 patients underwent arteriography, with 1 patient receiving definitive treatment in interventional radiology. Of the 103 patients, 29.1% were managed by pediatric surgeons, 38.8% were managed by extremity specialists, 17% were managed by vascular surgeons, 5.8% were managed by neurosurgeons, and 9.3% were managed by others.

CONCLUSIONS: Despite the available multidisciplinary diagnostic and treatment modalities at tertiary care pediatric trauma centers, traumatic vascular injuries in children and adolescents are associated with significant morbidity and mortality in contemporary surgical practice.

Author List

Klinkner DB, Arca MJ, Lewis BD, Oldham KT, Sato TT


Brian D. Lewis MD Professor in the Surgery department at Medical College of Wisconsin
Keith T. Oldham MD Professor in the Surgery department at Medical College of Wisconsin
Thomas T. Sato MD Sr Associate Dean, CEO CSG, Professor in the Children's Specialty Group Administration department at Medical College of Wisconsin

MESH terms used to index this publication - Major topics in bold

Blood Vessels
Child, Preschool
Retrospective Studies
Treatment Outcome
Wounds and Injuries
Wounds, Nonpenetrating
Wounds, Penetrating
jenkins-FCD Prod-480 9a4deaf152b0b06dd18151814fff2e18f6c05280